Monday, February 2, 2009

Candlemas

This year I have been working on incorporating more devotions into our lives. I want my son to grow up immersed in the rhythms of the liturgical year, to have access to the rich grace of the Church's celebration of the Saints and Martyrs and the events of our Lord's life. He is too young now to know what is going on, but if my husband and I have a habit of a liturgically and prayerfully centered life, it will be natural to him as he grows to understand.
Today we have been celebrating Candlemas, the presentation of Jesus in the Temple. I have been dealing with pretty bad allergies, so we didn't do anything fancy, but I made a Mediterranean feast for dinner (hummus and tabouleh and balsamic roasted eggplant with pitas and wine) and set the table with a cloth, cloth napkins, and, of course, lots of candles. Later we are going to read the story of the Presentation from the Bible then pray a rosary.
Next year I hope to do more. It is a tradition to have bee's wax candles blessed during mass and then light them at home.

No comments:

Post a Comment