Sunday, July 19, 2015

Answer Me This!

One of the perks of coming back to blogging is being able to participate in Kendra's Answer Me This, which is my very favorite link-up!




1. What's currently on your To Do list?

Cleaning the table, going to choir, spending time with friends (my best friend before she moves to Rome and others we have not seen in far too long).

In the bigger picture, getting things organized, clearing the weeds from the back beds before they completely choke out my roses, getting laminate flooring installed in the bedrooms and hallway, finishing my incomplete grad school papers.

2. Better type of superhero: magic/radioactive powers? Or trauma/gadgets/hard work?
I think this is definitely a false dichotomy -- how can one choose?  I must admit that I am personally more inclined to the magic/radioactive powers camp, simply because I find Batman (who is the primary exemplar of the other category) too depressing for my taste.  I like my comic book movies light and entertaining, thank you very much!  But that isn't to say that the trauma/gadgets/hard work set might not be intrinsically more admirable.  I don't know.

3. Finding out if baby is a boy or a girl before birth: Good idea? Bad idea?

Before I had any children, I was completely sure I would wait to find out, since that is what my parents had done.  But then I was pregnant with my first and very sick, and thinking of my baby in more concrete terms as a little boy really helped me get though it.

Since we found out with the first, we figured we might as well find out with the other two, and have thus not been in the position of my parents when my youngest sibling was born.  

My Dad made predictions for the sex of each child, and when my Mom was pregnant with the youngest, he was 3 for 3.  He was completely sure that the baby would be a boy, so they picked out a boy name and packed boy clothes, and went to the hospital.  They were caught completely unprepared with the doctor announced that the baby was a girl!  They hadn't even thought about a girl's name, and Luke clearly wouldn't do  We called her Jessie for her first couple of days, and she finally ended up as Anna, a name that suits her very well indeed!

4. Have you ever appeared on a stadium jumbotron?

No, never, nor would I ever wish to!  I have actually only been to one professional sports game in my life -- a Red Sox game at Fenway with my grandparents and an assortment of cousins.  It was fun, but not something I feel the need to repeat.  Neither Amos not I watched sports growing up, and it seems to be a taste that one must acquire early or not at all.

5. Are you more book smart or more street smart?

With my on-again-off-again affair with doctoral work, I think the answer is pretty obviously book smart!  I was a really spacey kid who grew up to be a rather less spacey (but still a little spacey) adult, but I have always been good at school.  Among my siblings, that was sort of my role.  Jill was creative, Anna was athletic, and I was good at school.

2 comments:

  1. I have no desire to appear on a jumbotron, either. I wouldn't care if I did, but don't actually want to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I would care if I did, because I am sure it would be the moment I had something on my face or caught between my teeth! ;)
      Thanks for stopping by my little blog!
      Natalie

      Delete