Friday, July 17, 2015

Each Peach Pear Plum

Today was a good day. Usually by 3 pm, I am so tired that I just coast for the rest of the day, but today? Today I baked. First cornbread for the dinner of cornbread salad, and then, because there were some peaches about to turn on the counter, I set about making a pie.

Classic pie on the window sill shot here, mostly to get the last of the fading daylight!
I used to think that homemade pie crust was onerous, finicky, and not really worth the effort, but I have actually gotten good at it, and now I strongly believe that you might as well not make a pie at all if you are not going to make your own crust! I have had very good luck with the Betty Crocker Cookbook recipe

My pies have come out a lot prettier since I got a pie crust mat, which takes the guess work out of how big to roll the dough and makes it a lot easier to transfer the dough from counter to pan. This pie is pretty simple -- I want to learn to make a proper lattice crust some day, but with the kids "helping" me bake, today was not the day!

I tried an egg wash today, which is what make the crust so shiny.  Next time I might sprinkle it with turbinado sugar for even more sparkle!


This little boy is eating the last of the peaches, and being very patient while the pie cools!

No comments:

Post a Comment